About this Edition
The HERE SDK for iOS (Lite Edition) is optimized for lower end devices and incorporates a light-weighted map renderer. This guarantees support for a vast amount of mobile devices while still being able to show beautifully looking and highly customizable maps.
At the time of writing, version 188.8.131.52 is the latest release of the HERE SDK for iOS (Lite Edition), which includes:
| Mapping || |
- Latest map data from the HERE platform for more than 190 countries with weekly map updates.
- Resource-friendly vector tile map rendering.
- 2D / 2.5D rendering including building footprints, extruded buildings, carto POIs and more.
- Highly customizable map styles featuring a powerful WYSIWYG customization tool, including predefined styles such as normal street map and satellite map.
- Support for custom raster layers from external sources.
- Support for all common map interactions and gestures (including pan, flick, and pinch zoom).
- Pickable overlay objects on the map such as polylines, polygons, circles, images, and routes.
- Attachable native iOS views as map overlays.
- Highly customizable map marker support (including anchor points and multiple images).
- Metadata support for most map items (for example, to identify search results on the map).
| Search || |
- Search through a broad set of geographical content across the globe (including streets, address points, categories, and places).
- Search the vast HERE database by Place ID.
- Request search results filtered by country in your preferred language.
- Access localized details for a Point of Interest (POI).
- Enhance the search experience with auto suggestions.
- Perform geocoding and reverse geocoding lookups.
- All address details are already localized and can be accessed in various languages.
| Traffic || |
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic flows on the map.
- Embedded support for instant visualization of traffic incidents on the map.
| Directions || |
- Online car route directions.
- Online pedestrian route directions.
- Online truck route directions with highly customizable truck options.
- Specify preferred route type (fastest or shortest) and route options (such as speed profiles, route restrictions, vignette options, and more).
- Calculate traffic-aware routes indicating potential traffic delay times, as well as traffic-optimized routes to avoid traffic.
- Customizable route shapes utilizing different types of waypoints.
- Localized maneuver instructions are available for each route.
- Alternate routes.
The HERE SDK for iOS can seamlessly be integrated into the car’s built-in display using Apple's CarPlay.
- The HERE SDK for iOS supports iOS 12.0 or higher.
- As an absolute minimum for development, you must use macOS Catalina, Xcode 11.3 and Swift 5.1.2.
- The accompanying example apps have been developed using Xcode 11.5.
The HERE SDK supports iOS ARM64 / 64-bit architectures incorporating Apple's A7 chip or newer. This means that all iOS devices starting from the iPhone 5s (which was released in 2013) are supported. The x86_64 architecture is supported for simulators.
Where to Start?
If you are interested in building your first app showing a HERE map, have a look at our Get Started section to guide you through the first simple steps.
Register or sign in at developer.here.com to get your credentials and to download the iOS framework (the HERE SDK binary bundle to include in your app(s)).
A quick overview of the main concepts and conventions can be found here.
- In the examples section, you can find the links to our example applications that accompany this user guide.
- The API Reference can be found in your downloaded SDK package or on developer.here.com.
- Choose a plan: You can freely start using the HERE SDK with the Freemium plan. An overview of the available plans can be found on the pricing page. More details on the plans can be found in our FAQs.
The use of the HERE SDK for iOS is governed by the terms and conditions which you have accepted separately, either when signing up via the developer.here.com portal or otherwise executing an agreement with HERE. For your use of the documentation presented on this website, these terms apply.
In addition to the above terms, the following shall apply: Components of the HERE SDK for iOS collect certain information from your application. Such information includes access credentials (
Open Source Software Notices
If you use the HERE SDK for iOS in your application, you must embed the HERE copyright and various open source software licenses or link to a copy hosted on your project's webspace. You can find a copy of these licenses in the HERE_NOTICE file, which is included in your HERE SDK package.